Sunday, December 21, 2008

Angels shop at Target


Lyda told me an amazing story tonight about how when she was an angel in heaven, she picked Jeni and me to be her parents.


Lyda went shopping one day at the heavenly Target. It was August 13th. She remembers the date because it "felt like August, and it smelled like August. And, well, it really tasted like August."


She found Jeni on the "girl" shelf and me on the "boy" shelf. She picked me first, she said, because she loves me as big as the world. And Jeni and I were kind of like statues, just "heads and shirts."


"You had on a blue shirt and mom had on a purple shirt." (Naturally – our favorite colors.)


Then Lyda went shopping for the rest of our body parts.


"I picked out your bones, and your arms, and legs, and hair, and paint to color your eyes, and some peach-colored stretchy, flopppy stuff for your skin. I even picked out your toes," she said proudly.


"How come you didn’t get me some more hair?" I interrupted.


"Well, sorry," she said, "we were kind of in a hurry and we were really hungry. It was about 5:30 and we had to get back to God’s house to get something to eat."


"What did God serve for dinner?"


"Noodles, of course. We had noodles pretty much every night."


"Did you ever get sick of eating noodles every night?"


"No! God had lots of Parmesan cheese and parsley. And we had milk, but that’s about it."


"You said 'we.' Who else was with you?" I asked.


"There were other angels with me to help me pick you out. Your dad helped me pick you out," she said. "He was the only boy helping me. But, there were about 12 girl angels who helped me pick out mom."


"My dad helped you pick me out?" I asked. "That must have been a long time ago."


"Oh yeah, it was before you and mom were babies. Because you’ve got to start as babies, you know. We took all the parts over to God’s house and he put you together. I helped him a little, maybe this much," she said, holding her thumb and index fingers about an inch apart. "And then God put you in your mommy’s tummy and he put mom in her mommy’s tummy. And then I helped God get you and mom together, but that took a long time."


A long time, indeed, but it seems like we’ve always been together. Now I know why it "seems" that way, because we have been together -- always.


I must say I am comforted knowing that someone as wise and loving as Lyda helped put me together and helped Jeni and me find each other. How cool that she picked us! No need to worry about anything, because it's all part of the master plan.

1 comment:

Christy said...

What a heartwarming story. :)